Monday, July 25, 2011

Brutal Week

But I made it through! And Pete finally got the clearance to run... so after he gets through this cold he caught from staying in the dorms at JMU he'll be reading to resume (slightly abbreviated) training.

Saturday was 7 miles and 10 x100. I ran 5 miles with Bella and then did an ins and outs type workout around my neighborhood so I could make sprints part of the rest of my run. It was pretty easy and I felt good. Later we met some friends for sushi and way overpriced drinks. The best part of the evening was that we stopped at a frozen yogurt shop called Sweet Frogs and got some serious sugar highs. I can't remember everything I put on mine, mostly peanut butter cups, oreos, and hot fudge. Pete's weighed twice as much as mine and I think he put one of everything on his. Fatty.

Sunday, ugh. I spent most of the time I was supposed to be sleeping in a fit of pain. I have never experienced the monthly curse as bad as this, and even though I haven't had children yet I swear it felt like labor pains. Luckily it went away after about three hours so I got 2-3 hours of sleep total. I woke up at 5am, got everything ready, and Pete and I drove to the oceanfront for our long run. Technically the park doesn't open until 7, but we were able to sneak in through a side trail and start running by 6. Overall, the run went well. I didn't bother to drink coffee in the morning so I felt pretty sluggish for about 5 miles, but I figured it was more important to hydrate due to the extreme heat and humidity. I did the run on an out and back 7 mile stretch so I could stop and refill my water. My only hiccup was when I finished my second 7 miles Pete was still out running on his own and I couldn't find where he put the water. I kept running until I finally found him and then we went to the car. I filled up with G2 instead, so it ended up being a good thing. The last three miles were pretty rough, although not as bad as some of my Wednesday runs have felt. I ended up running 2:42:22, which is about 7:42 per mile for 21 miles. I would have liked to be closer to 7:30, but considering the heat, the conditions of the trail, and the fact that it was my longest training run ever, I'm satisfied.

Afterward we walked to the beach and soaked in the ocean for a few. By the time we got home I was wiped out, and I slept for about three hours (after a shower of course). I spent basically the rest of the day on the couch watching movies. It was too hot to do anything outside, and I'm doing all of my chores today since I have the day off from running.

So that's it! Here's how the week went:

Monday: off
Tuesday: 5 mile tempo, 10 total
Wednesday: 14 miles
Thursday: 5 miles recovery
Friday: 11 miles
Saturday: 7 miles with 10 x 100 sprints
Sunday: 21 miles!
Total : 68 miles

2 comments:

  1. Way to go guys! That was some serious mileage during a super hot week. Most people don't run 68 miles in their lifetime, but we're not most people. See you guys soon!
    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks brother, looks like you've been getting in some good training too!

    Mollie :)

    ReplyDelete