Thursday, June 2, 2011

Balance People, Balance

I know it has been thought and perhaps even said aloud within certain company, but here it goes. People who exercise a lot (and by a lot I mean at least an hour + a day throughout the week) can be weird. Don't let this offend you, because I know how to fix this.
Here's the thing, if you are obsessed with workouts (RUNNERS!) you've got to chill out a bit, or at least know the art of balance. Balance means taking important aspects in life and giving them all equal opportunity. If you are OK with allowing most of your time and life to be devoted to workouts, well... "Houston, we've got a problem".
I've trained personally, observed my wife's training habits on a professional running level and trained "regular" adults as their hired personal trainer. All of us succeeded in not becoming the recluses of training. The object is to enjoy your training, seek the challenge and succeed, but seriously, leave the training there in that hour or two and move on with other important parts of your life when you complete the daily task.
I've worked with 2 different types of people. The reluctant and the obsessed. The reluctant people are unable or don't want to devote a full hour session a day to a workout, so they figure, "What's the point if I can't spend enough time working out each day to make a difference?". That's fine you feel that way. But now balance it out. No time for a 1 hour session? Make room for two 30 minute sessions a day. Maybe 3 days of two 30 min. sessions and 2 days of one 1 hr. sessions. It works, and it's the alternative to being fat and disappointed in yourself. Trust me, you won't "figure it out later".
The obsessed only want to train. They focus on it all day and then when they finish, it's about the next day and the next... They don't find time to relax, they make time with others miserable for the others! People, we love that you are a die hard worker. We're proud of you and sometimes amazed at your ability, but it's about working it out and balancing your life.
Make the choice to value your health over laziness and disease and strive to push yourself to experience accomplishments. But here's the kicker, make it a point to balance this with other important parts of your life. Don't turn it into an obsession that impedes on other important aspects of your life (like people and relaxation). That's how it works best. Balance people.

Day 2- Went outside after my morning class in 95+ degree F to run 11 miles. I was extremely optimistic, hydrated and driven. I approached mile 6 and felt like I was going to fall out. Here's the balance application:
I wished the 11 was done in one session, but it wasn't possible. I could have rested for 20 minutes, gone back out and tackled more, but I've got other things I need to do in the day. So I had to break it up. I called the workout, showered, went to my new house and took care of some projects in the AC. I even drank a beer while I worked. The follow up run came later. It's all getting done, just not quite as I originally projected. Between me and the support of my wife, I'll stay accountable in training, but there are other necessities that I need to accomplish. And I will gladly find a way to make it all happen.

1 comment:

  1. ha i know a lot of people who fit into the "obsessed" category

    ReplyDelete