Friday, June 10, 2011

Yes, it's hot!

Heat waves shimmering
one or two inches
above the dead grass.
(a poem by Matsuo Basho)


So hot I cannot breathe
I pause and it only gets worse
Pick it up
I have to stop
I can see the traffic lights ahead
There is a bug on my shoulder
Smack! I got it
A fly on my knee
Too late, he already got me
Twenty minutes more
My leg itches
I have to walk
No!
Stare at the pavement and
I'm going to make it
I think.
(my actual thoughts)

Wednesday's run was not good. 11 miles and in the mid-90s when I left my house at 6:30 pm. I was sweating before I even left. By the halfway point I was feeling ok so I picked it up a little, but 10 minutes later I was toast. I really wanted to walk soooo badly but I made it home with a verrrry slow jog.

Thursday was a 5 mile recovery run, and it was just as hot as the day before. Felt bad at first, but overall I think we achieved the goal of "recovery". I am pretty exhausted, but thankful that school will be over in a week.

Pete and I are looking forward to this weekend. We have one last post-season track meet on Saturday, and then finally track season is over! We're also planning to go to the beach this Sunday. And maybe hitting up a few margaritas.

No comments:

Post a Comment